Mass Times
St. James:
Sunday Mass is at 11:00AM.

Eucharistic Adoration today 25th March 6am-6pm

St. William of York:​
Sunday Mass is at 09:00AM

Additional mass times, including weekday masses and confessions can be found here.​​

Welcome to our parish website. We hope the list of services, activities, organisations and ministries will give you an overview of life in our parish community. We strive to promote a welcoming, loving and  prayerful atmosphere in our parish. We are blessed to have people from many different nations and cultures. On Pentecost Sunday we have an ‘International Mass’ to celebrate our diversity and faith heritages. Our two churches are the venues for Masses for the Goan (Konkani), Ukrainian, Ordinariate and Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (FSSP) communities.

St James Church is built within the ruins of the great Benedictine Abbey, today we continue the practice of the monks to celebrate the Sacred Liturgy in Word and Sacrament. The church was built between 1837 and 1840, the architect was A W Pugin. On 14th December 2012 the community celebrated a Mass of Thanksgiving on the 175th Anniversary of the Laying of the Foundation Stone and the recent restoration work in the church. Bishop Philip Egan presided at the concelebrated Mass. To the locals in Reading this church is known as ‘the church next to the prison’.

St William of York Church was built in 1906. In addition to the people of this church community it is also home to the catholic students of Reading University and the  Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (FSSP). The catholic students have a full time Chaplain, Sabine Schwartz, the Chaplaincy is opposite to St Williams Church. The FSSP has two priests in their community, currently Fr Armand de Malleray and Fr Matthew Goddard who live nearby.

Thank you for reading our parish website. May God bless you now and always.

Fr John writes ...
Today we listen to the story of the healing of the ‘BLIND MAN’. It unleashes a chain of chaos and confusion. The opening question of the disciples was “Who is to blame ?”  This is a common question in the media today. Jesus reminds his disciples that no-one is to blame. The Pharisees claimed to be the ones who could see, who knew where God was to be found, when in fact they were blind. It was the man born blind who showed himself open to see the hand of God at work in his healing from blindness...

Roman Catholic Parish of St James and St William of York Reading

Disclaimer & Copyright       Privacy         Terms and Conditions       

The parish is part of the Diocese of Portsmouth. Portsmouth Roman Catholic Diocesan Trust registered charity 246871

News and Events
Parish Passover meal this year taking place at St James on Thu 6th April at 7.30pm. Price will be £7 for adults, £4 children 5-18. The structure of the Mass is based on the Passover Meal and includes a full cooked meal with lamb etc. 

Check out our Newsletters or visit our Facebook page for the latest parish news and events​.


Canon John O'Shea

Welcome to our Parish